I was out in my sister's garden yesterday and I noticed her Laburnum, a tree most noted for it's golden drooping flowers in spring, had gone to seed. The seed pods are green and look like pea pods.. All parts of the laburnum are severely toxic and these pea pods could be easily mistaken for peas, which the kids are eating by the dozen at the moment. We talked about it and decided that the tree should be pruned out of reach of the children.
Poisoning by plants is rare. Ornamental plants are not designed to be eaten but when gardening with little kids, it is important to be aware of the risks. There are may plants that can cause severe reactions when eaten and although no one expects you not to have them in your garden, special attention should paid to making sure the kids no what NOT to eat. You should always get them to check with you first.
Here's a short list of some common plants which have toxic parts, you may already have them in your garden, as I have. Just so you know...and the kids know too, these plants are severely toxic if eaten!
Aconitum spp. (monkshood); Atropa belladonna (deadly nightsahde); Euphorbia spp. (spurge - sap commonly causes skin reaction); Gloriosa superba (glory lily); Heracleum mantegazzianum (giant hogweed); Ipomoea spp. (morning glory, seeds are toxic); Daphne spp.; Nicotiana spp. (tobacco plant); Ricinus communis (castor oil plant - seed and foliage are toxic and contact with leaves can cause allergic skin reactions); Taxus spp. (yew, all parts are toxic but both children and animals can be attracted to berries).
For more information and a comprehensive list go to http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=524